Friday, November 5, 2010

Eternal optimist

Some days I feel like the world is full of possibilities. Like I could go anywhere, do anything and all would be well. There is a whole lot of optimist in me. I like to see the best in situations. In people.

I had a friend a few days ago say that she always thinks of me smiling. She has a hard time picturing me otherwise. I had another friend text me out of concern when she saw a profile pic I had put up on my Facebook page that looked less than smiley. I asked her if I should change it and she said resoundingly, ‘Yes!’ So I did. I have an image to perpetuate after all. I even use smiley emoticons all the time. :)

I would say the smiley persona is genuine most of the time. But I have pessimist days too, when I keep running into resistance at every turn. I’m afraid to say there’s just enough pessimist in me to keep me frozen. Frozen in fear that what I want to believe about the world isn’t really true. The older I get, the more my inner conversation shifts to the idea that the world might not, in fact, be as full of possibilities for me as it once was. And that makes me less than smiley.

“This is God's Word on the subject: ‘As soon as Babylon's seventy years are up and not a day before, I'll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.’” -Jer. 29-10-11 (MSG)

God is speaking here through a letter from Jeremiah, the prophet, to some elders exiled from Jerusalem in Babylon. I find it somewhat comforting that He is giving hope while also addressing their impatience. This is comforting because God has to deal with my impatience all the time. Like most of us, I want what I want now. Funny how I can be frozen and impatient at the same time. Like I don’t realize I have to do something to get somewhere? Duh.

Nevertheless I’m happy that there are plans in place - God’s plans even - to give me the future I hope for. Maybe not the specific future I dream about when I’m bold enough to do so, but a future designed for me by the Maker of the universe with my good in mind. And I’m sure that’s lots better.

That makes me smile.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog misses you. It asked me to tell you to please make it a regular habit. Really. It did.

    ReplyDelete